Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find an advisor?

The National Security Studies advisor is Professor Tyler White, who can be found in 514 Oldfather Hall or reached at To find an advisor for another Arts & Sciences major or minor, click here.

How do I make an appointment with an advisor?

To schedule an appointment with your National Security Studies advisor, email Professor White here. You can also use the MyPLAN tool on Blackboard to schedule an appointment with an advisor. A step-by-step guide to using MyPLAN can be found here.

What can an advisor do?

A National Security Studies advisor can help you understand what the National Security program at UNL can do for you. They can also answer questions regarding classes, minor requirements, study abroad, the IC Scholar program, or internships, or just be a resource for any other National Security Studies questions you might have.

What is the Undergraduate Bulletin?

The Undergraduate Bulletin, which you can find here, allows you to look at specific course information along with major and minor requirements.

What is the Degree Audit?

Your Degree Audit is a computer generated document that shows you how much progress you've made on college and major/minor requirements once you've declared them. It's found through MyRed by going to Records, and then Degree Audit on the right-hand side. You can find a quick guide here, and more thorough information here.

How do I graduate with distinction from the College of Arts & Sciences?

For information on graduating with distinction, visit the Arts & Sciences website here.

Where do I find Arts & Sciences forms?

You can either visit the Arts & Sciences Advising website here, or use the following links.

Where can I find Honors Program forms?

To find forms for the Honors Program, you can either visit their website here, or use the following links.
Statement of Academic Interest. Sign in using the same information that you use to sign into Blackboard, click on Submit Forms, and choose the Statement of Academic Interest. Due at the end of your 4th semester of study. 
Thesis/Creative Project ProspectusDue at the end of your 6th semester of study. 
Honors Thesis/Creative Project Completion. Due before handing in your final project. 
Honors Contract Form. Due by the 6th week of the semester (3rd week for summer classes).